“The time has changed from “reciting poems and fairy tales” to teaching about Good Touch and Bad Touch”
This article is all about the most important issue of today’s era which needs to be discussed and to be made aware of “Good Touch” & “Bad Touch”
We all have heard some news about child abuse and while listening to this news gives us Goosebumps and we start worrying about our little lovely kids. In order to make them safe, we confine them by not letting them go and play outside not talking to people this ends up making them conservative, anti-social, frustrated. By doing this we are spoiling their childhood. Instead, we need to make them aware of the terminology “Good Touch” and “Bad touch”.
You all must have heard about the terms “Good Touch” and “Bad Touch”, somewhere whether in Newspapers or Some articles. We all avoid talking about this topic but the time has changed, we all should need to know more about this topic on our part as well as we have to teach about this to our children.
Even in schools children should be taught about the touches, which will help them to be aware and they will learn to say “NO”.
What is a “Good Touch”?
A good touch is basically the positive, loving touch from our near and dear ones. It is the touch which is done in order to appreciate us, which is necessary for them to remain healthy or to have fun.
Some examples of good touch are like:
- When mom holds your hand in the market or gives you a hug when you do something good.
- When your dad gives you a good night kiss
- Grandparents hold you in your arms
- Holding hands while playing with a friend
So basically Good Touch is what makes you feel good, pleasant and most importantly feel safe and does not harm you.
What is a “Bad Touch”?
Bad Touch is anything if anyone touches you in a manner that makes you feel scared, nervous or uncomfortable. If anyone tries to abuse you physically like touching you inappropriately in the parts of your body that makes you feel uncomfortable, is a bad touch.
Ways to make your child aware of “Good Touch” and “Bad touch”:
- First of all, parents should leave their hesitation behind in talking to their kids about this issue.
- Be open and kind to your kids so that they don’t feel shy or scared about anything they wish to know or talk about.
- Give them children friendly books educating them about this issue.
- Always remember to Use proper language and conventions while talking to them.
- Start teaching them about this from a very early age.
- Don’t just tell them everything in just one day this will make them feel bad or scared or may create confusions in their minds and hearts.
- Tell them they own their body and have the right to say “What they feel good” or “What they feel bad” about it.
- Teach them to learn to say ‘NO’.
- Don’t force them to Hug or Kiss someone when they don’t feel like doing it.
It is very important in this era to learn the difference between “Good and Bad touch”. This will make children enough mature to understand right and wrong. In future, these children will further pass on this knowledge on to their children and this will go on.
This will help in reducing the cases of “Child Abuse” which are increasing day by day.
Some of the facts about child abuse:
- Approximately 5 children die every day because of child abuse.
- 90% of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way. 68% are abused by a family member.
- 1 out of 3 girls and 1 out of 5 boys will be sexually abused before they reach age 18.
- The United States has the worst record of child abuse among all the nations.
Some of the latest news reports:
- In the UK: Woman speaks out over a father who raped and abused her
- Inquiry finds children as young as 7 were sexually abused at Ampleforth, and 11 at Downside
- Shahdara: Three schoolboys booked after their junior alleges sexual assault in the bus
- Minor boys allegedly gangrape girl in Dehradun outskirts after watching porn.
Be Informed, Stay Safe!
Article Credits: Kashish Garg | New Delhi | India