Natural and home remedies have been around for hundreds of thousands of years all over the world. People from different countries belonging from various cultures have been using home remedies to cure smallest of illness like cold, cough, etc. Of course, by being ‘natural’ their benefits are undeniable and effective. Why go to the doctor for simple issues in life when you can treat it right at home?!
In regards to prescription medication, most of us have been using it since the advent of science and technology. However, it is not wrong to say that we have become ‘dependent’ on it. With simple bouts of cold or instances of fever, we pop up a tablet and we will feel fine. That is the general thought process of everyone today. Medication does have side effects and sometimes it alleviates symptoms associated with the illness or aggravates the illness.
However, there are pros and cons in every profession and sector.
Let’s take a look at some advantages and disadvantages of home remedies:
Yes, the most obvious factor! If you’re someone who is very conscious of his/ her health, someone who is very particular about keeping a distance from chemicals then home remedies is the right option. Home remedies are inclusive of natural products in their natural state. They don’t have any form of chemicals or preservatives.
Unlike prescription medication, herbal medicines and home remedies do not cost much. The prices of prescription medicines are influenced due to research, testing, and marketing. Things such as baking soda, salt, and spices are present in most of the kitchens. In this way, home remedies are inexpensive compared to drugs.
Home remedies do not need a prescription or the need to visit pharmacies. You can prepare your home remedy within the kitchen itself. Some of the simple herbs like peppermint and chamomile can be grown at home itself. They’re readily available most of the times at home. In some remote parts of the country, home remedies and herbal medicine are the only source of treatment to the people.
In many situations, herbal medicines or home remedies tend to be more effective for long-standing health complaints. A certain prescription drug could cause possible side effects over the years. Hence, alternative home remedies can do a lot more than drugs.
Suitable for All
One of the excellent benefits of home remedies is that it can be used for people of all ages. Be it, children, adults and elderly people can use herbal medicine to cure their ailments.
Some other advantages:
- You don’t need to get a refill every month with home remedies. Just a quick round to the nearby supermarket would suffice the needful.
- No need to get the prescription renewal from your doctor.
- Home remedies deal with the process of healing the body naturally.
- Many pharmaceutical companies undergo a test on animals for research purposes and developing new drugs. Home remedies are adopted by many to oppose this act.
- There are no chances that herbal remedies can get banned. The certain drug gets banned from the market over a period of time. Home remedies due to a natural state unlike drugs have very low of chances of getting discontinued.
- They are non-addictive. Some drugs are highly addictive and cause a problem. Since herbal remedies are natural and non-addictive, they’re safe to consume.
Even home remedies can cause side effects. Home remedies for acne can cause a skin reaction or certain practice can aggravate the condition. It is important to conduct a skin test before, talk to any health practitioner before applying for any herbal medicine.
Home remedies are not appropriate for sudden and serious illnesses or accidents. For example, a broken leg, appendicitis or a heart attack cannot be treated effectively with herbal or alternative treatments. A conventional doctor would deal with the issue using modern diagnostic tests, surgery, and drugs.
Herbal medicine can cause great harm if it gets an overdose. The same thing can happen with medications also. Self-dosing or self-application of home remedies can risk your health.
If you use home remedy with medications, there is a great possibility that they may cause reactions to your body. Both drugs and herbs have their own way of working, so does our body. It is extremely important to discuss or take an advice from your doctor to avoid unperturbed reactions.
Home remedies can take relatively longer duration than medication to show results. It is not suitable for serious conditions like heart attack or fracture since immediate attention is required in these conditions. Home remedies take its own time to work and cure the illness.
Some other disadvantages:
- Often, herbs are harvested in the wild and they end up poisoning themselves. It is very important that you identify the herb properly or use may end using an inappropriate part of the plant.
- Taking any home remedy during pregnancy can cause problems like uterine contractions or birth defects. You shouldn’t start any supplement or home remedy during pregnancy without prior consultation from your OB.
- It can give birth to any underlying health condition
In the end, herbs and home remedies have advantages and disadvantage both. One should consult an herbalist or a doctor for proper diagnosis, consultation and medication for best results.
Be Happy, Be Peppy. 🙂
Article Credits: Hafsa Zamindar | Mumbai | India